Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Thanksgiving

We had Thanksgiving dinner early.

I am thankful for many things in my life.
I am thankful for my partner, who loves me pretty much unconditionally. She goes above and beyond the norm with each and everything she does. When she spends all day cooking, then cleaning, with three whiny kids (one of whom is ill) underfoot, and manages to make it to bed without biting my head off for being a lazy fat-ass who sat around after I got off work and did nothing but play on the computer for the rest of the day...well, I'd give her a raise if I could.

I am thankful for my children. My youngest, who drew me a picture of "ladies and potatoes", and after giving me love, tells me (sounding very satisfied with herself) "I gave you two hugs and two kisses." As if that could ever be enough. My oldest, who is starting to develop her own sense of style, which just plain freaks me out. She wants to wear this weird black hat, and pink tinted sunglasses, and told her father on the phone this evening, "I don't know why, I just really like the color black!" Then there's my middle child, who, during during dinner, announced, "Please call me Ariel the Mermaid." And when I asked Ariel what she was thankful for, she said, "My daddy, King Triton. And my hair."

I am thankful for my friends, who still invite me to go out, even though I never call them anymore because I'm always at work. The ones who feel free enough to tell me when I am being a bitch. (They're usually right.)

I am thankful for my sanity. I am thankful that the funny itchy rash on my stomach hasn't gotten any larger. I am thankful that my landlady is updating the insulation in the attic and my energy bills will go down. I am thankful that my family is healthy and happy.
I am thankful that I am finally tired enough to go to bed...

No comments: