Saturday, November 26, 2005

Dinner With the Clones

My friend Laura asked me to her birthday dinner last night. We hadn't hung out in a while, so I told her that I would go.
My mistake.
It wasn't that bad. It was just weird. I felt like I was from another planet.
I show up at the restaurant, and immediately feel...well, overdressed. Despite the fact that it was fifty degrees outside, Laura and all of her friends were wearing pants/jeans and skimpy little camisole tops. No sweaters, no coats. They were wearing what looked like jammies!
Her friends were all blonde and size three. No, that's not true, two of them had brown hair.
They all knew each other. I knew no one but Laura. They were all talking about what happened the last time they went to the bar. And then they passed around pictures of nights at bars. Then they talked about what bar they were going to later. And the bar after that.
I felt very old. And fat. I left early, before bar time. I just couldn't take any more of it. Probably because I couldn't tell any of them apart...

No comments: