Wednesday, August 02, 2006

It Happened. Still Happening.

My oldest daughter will be ten years old in December. Last night, she confided in me something unusual that was happening to her.
"Mom, I have hair." she said.
"No kidding" I said.
"No, Mom. I have hair down there." she replied.
I was on my way out the door, but I stopped pretty quickly. Huh? What?! Hair? Down there?!
She wasn't upset or shocked, after all, we've had plenty of talks about "what will happen when you hit puberty".
Sure freakin' shocked me though. It's one of those things that I knew would happen. But did I prepare for it? Brace myself for it? Remind myself that one day this tall, glowing, talented little girl would be a big girl?
No, I did not.
My youngest starts kindergarten this month. My babies are growing up, and I am not prepared. Which leads me to wonder...will I ever be?

No comments: